Corrosion and Environmental Science
CORROSION & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE.
Corrosion is a process in which metal gets corroded coming in contact with moist air, a chemical on the surface. This corrosion decreases the strength of metal and makes it weak.
There is a brown flaky substance that got settled on the surface of the metal when corrosion occurred.
There is different type of corrosions:
- Uniform Corrosion: Uniform corrosion is the corrosion where the exposed metal gets corroded from each area at the same rate.
- Pitting Corrosion: Pitting corrosion is corrosion in which there is an occurrence of holes and cavities on the metals.
3.Crevice corrosion: Crevice corrosion occurs on a localized area where there is a joint of two metallic surfaces.
- Intergranular corrosion: Intergranular corrosion also called intercrystallite corrosion; cracking occurred on the grain boundary
- Stress Corrosion Cracking: Stress Corrosion cracking is the corrosion that happened because of the corrosive environment and tensile stress.
- Galvanic Corrosion: Galvanic corrosion is also known as bimetallic corrosion where corrosion occurred due to the contact of another metal in an electrolyte. In this two different metallic immersed in the conductive solution and are electrically get connected.
How corrosion occurred?
Mostly the corrosion occurred when most or all the atoms on the metal surface got oxidized and damage the entire surface. Most of the metals get easily oxidized. They basically lose their electron to the oxygen which is present in the environment. So, we can say that metal is attached to corrosion and environmental science.
Difference between corrosion and rusting?
Corrosion is the technique of deterioration of the metal while rusting is the part of corrosion when metal get corroded because of some chemical reaction which ultimately results in the deposition of red or orange coating.
How to prevent corrosion
1.Corrosion can be prevented by making the protective coating
- It can also be protected by modification in design.
- By taking care of metals.
- Control from environmental factors that impacts the strength of metals.
Corrosion and Environmental Science Corrosion and Environmental Science Corrosion and Environmental Science